Friday, January 2, 2009

Great way to start my day....

This morning, my 5-year old, Elisabeth got up and woke me up complaining of flu-like symptoms. She had a fever, tummy-ache, and general body aches... so a little Motrin and a lot of love... would get her on the road to recovery. "Mommy, can you make me some soft food?" and I immediately knew what to make. I made a different variation of this for Christmas brunch and the everyone loved it... Spiced Pears. It is super simple to make, and warming to the soul. The recipe I made today was as follows:

2 cans sliced pears in lite syrup (Drain syrup from one can, and leave syrup in second can)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Directions: Place pears and remaining syrup in saucepan and heat on medium high until syrup begins to boil. Add brown sugar, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice and let boil for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve. I gave the pears (warm) to the girls with some Stoneyfield Farms Organic Vanilla Yogurt and they devoured it. On Christmas I used honey instead of brown sugar and omitted the vanilla extract I also added a tablespoon of butter. I chilled them afterwards and served them cold, as a side dish to the rest of the brunch we had.

Such a simple thing, and Elisabeth swears she feels better. I know it is placebo, but those pears always warm me up when I eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment