Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Italian Soup...


I am a really big fan of all kinds of homemade soups and stews. I think that they are chock-full of good-for-you stuff that can be quite delicious and satisfying. I frequently make soups/stews... probably a pot every week. They are a big hit with everyone in the family, especially my children. Here is the latest creation I came up with... it was absolutely divine, and the kids and husband were BEGGING for more. I made enough for dinner, lunch the following day, as well as a large container to freeze. The best part is, it is extremely wallet-friendly...

Italian Tomato Soup

Ingredients:

1 6 lb can of whole peeled tomatoes with basil (I got mine from Costco)
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 large white onions, chopped
2 large green peppers, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cups chicken broth
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
Freshly ground Sea Salt, to taste
Freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Combine all of the above ingredients in a crock-pot and cook on low for 8 hours. The tomatoes will soften and break up on their own. About a half hour before done cooking, add pre-cooked meatballs to soup, as desired. I added about 25 warm Armour meatballs. I also added 16 oz. can garbanzo beans. When warmed through, I sprinkled with parmesan cheese, to taste.

On the second day, when I rewarmed the soup for lunch, I added about 1/4 cup chicken broth to each bowl, because the soup had thickened overnight considerably.

This would also be GREAT with 1 10 oz package of drained (and warmed) spinach added along with the meatballs and garbanzo beans. Added to soups and sauces, spinach adds a wealth of nutrients, barely changes the taste, and little change is made to the texture...

This is a power-packed meal that is hearty and loved by everyone. The best part is, it is EASY to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment